[image above taken from here]
The word “chakra” means “wheel” or “disk” in Sanskrit. Chakras are energy centers that run from the base of your spine to the crown of your head. There are seven chakras that are located in our subtle body. These chakras contain vital energy that dictates how we behave, how the physical body functions, and how we experience and perceive information in the external and internal worlds in which we live. Fascinatingly enough, our chakras, though in our subtle body, are located within reach from nerve plexuses in the physical body. Understanding the function of chakras in our bodies can help illuminate how we can feel comfortable in our physical bodies, how we can create successful relationships (with ourselves & with others) and how we can achieve a state of inner peace and balance. In facilitating our creative process, chakras can illuminate areas where we need to do some self-study to open our creative center.
- Muladhara Chakra is your root support. The root chakra is connected to the base of the spine and points downward between the legs toward the ground. It is the color red. It connects the subtle energy system to the earth. It supports our will to live and supplies our bodies with vitality. Its energy is associated with our need for food, shelter, and the basic necessities of life.
- Svadisthana Chakra is the seat of your creativity. The second chakra is connected to the sacrum. Its color is orange. It is associated with reproduction, sexuality, physical enjoyment, and the attractive aspects of relationships. It can be associated with guilt. It is our center of creativity. It houses our “gut feeling”.
- Manipura Chakra is your power base. The third chakra is connected to the solar plexus area. Its color is yellow. It brings in and sends out the energy necessary for self-expression. This is also called the power center. Confidence and purpose as well as fear and anger can be located here.
- Anahata Chakra is your heart center. The fourth chakra is connected to the center of the chest near the physical heart. Its color is green. Love, joy, respect and surrender are the attributes of this chakra. Spiritual guidance and higher consciousness can also come through the heart chakra.
- Vishuddha Chakra is your communication center. The fifth chakra is located in the throat area. Its color is blue. This chakra is associated with the expression of creativity through speaking or writing. It is also involved in contemplation and some of the aspects of thinking and planning. How we relate to others and especially to groups manifests through this chakra.
- Ajna Chakra is the seat of your wisdom. The sixth chakra is located between the eyebrows
and is also called the third eye. Its color is purple or indigo. Self-awareness, wisdom higher consciousness, clairvoyance, simple knowing, visualization, and conceptual thinking are the attributes of this chakra.
- Sahasrara Chakra is your mystical center. The seventh chakra is located at the top of the head and extends jut above the bead. Its color is white or violet. It connects us directly to the the higher power and spiritual consciousness.
Looking forward to learning more about Chakras and how to open to your creative potential? Sign up for our blog here to read more posts.